Telephone: 780.422.0059 Fax: 780.428.0066 Email: evjohn@telus.net
10759-96 Street Edmonton Alberta T5H 2J7 CANADA

Our History

Church 1910interior

In March 1893, we had our first worship service in Edmonton. In 1894, a location was found to serve the congregation of fifteen people. In 1903 our first church building was constructed and in September of that year the congregation was established with sixteen families. In 1972, the church we currently use for our worship services and meetings was built.

church2013church2013b



St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

The first worship services were held by Pastor Poensgen in the rented quarter of the Gariepy & Lessard Hall, northwest corner of 100 Street and Jasper Avenue. Services began here in February 1903 and continued until June 1904. In September 1903 the congregation was established with sixteen families. A Sunday School program was initiated.

The congregations prayers for a house of worship are answered! A church building was dedicated on September 11, 1904. The land cost $ 300. Construction costs were $ 950. This building was located at 95th Street and 103rd Ave. The dimensions of this church were 26’x36’x16’. In the same year a choir and a youth group were gathered. As Pastor Poensgen had passed away, Pastor Ruccius was installed on the dedication day. In April1905, St. John congregation united with St. Peter congregation of the Missouri Synod. This union under Pastor Lussky was to last only seven months. Pastor Walbaum became pastor of St. John in January 1905. In February 1906 the first building was sold, as it had become too small. A new church, located at 96th Street and 108 Ave., was dedicated on May 27, 1906. Costs totaled $ 1,800.

In 1910 the church building was enlarged (76’x38’), a steeple erected and a basement added for the Sunday School. The cost of the building was $ 7,000. Dedication services were held on March 13, 1910. The evening of the same day, the first English service was held in our church’s history. This building served the congregation until 1971.

The parsonage was built in 1913 and dedicated at Pentecost. It housed our pastors until 1955. From 1955 – 1960 the parsonage was used for the Sunday School.

During World War I many members lost their work and had to leave the city. Instead of the debt being reduced, it grew to 10,500. Under Pastor Tuerkheim it was reduced. Pastor Juettner continued under the same difficulty. Pastor Joern from Bluff Springs, Iowa, reintroduced English services for awhile. Pastor Kleiner led the congregation during the depression, but he could do so only with the continued support of the Board of American Missions. Since 1939, under Pastor Krisch, English services have been held regularly at St. John. In 1946 the congregation became self supporting and by 1947 the debt was paid. The pipe organ was replaced by an electric Hammond Organ. From 1948 on, many new immigrants arrived from Europe and found a home at. St. John. The church could not hold all the worshippers in the German services, so Pastor Krisch asked those who could understand English to attend that service. A Latvian congregation was organized in our building as well. Under Pastor Lenz, the new educational unit and auditorium was built.

In 1954 a neighboring lot had been purchased and in 1960 work on a Sunday School and Parish Hall was begun. On April 23, 1961 the building was dedicated. It had cost approximately $ 43,000. Over two hundred children attended Sunday school in both languages. Faithful teachers helped in the Christian education of our children.

The membership kept increasing and a larger church building was needed. Under the guidance of Pastor Schoepp plans were made and brought to fruition. In August 1971 the building was begun and then on May 28, 1972 it was dedicated. By December of 1977, the congregation was free of all debt again.


Pastors

Gustav Poensgen - Feb. 1903 – May 1904

Martin Ruccius - Sept. 1904 – April 1905

Walter Lussky - April 1905 – November 1905 (union of St. John and St. Peter)

Herman Walbaum - January 1906 – March 1908

Henry Harms - April 1908 – 1918

Ernest Tuerkheim - 1918 – January 1926

Georg O. Juettner - March 1926 – December 1929

C. Joern - May 1930 – January 1931

Conrad Kleiner - April 1931 – 1938

Reinhold Krisch - March 1938 – November 1955

Frederick Lenz - November 1955 – December 1964

Louis F. Schoepp - 1965-1978

Horst Gutsche - August 1978 – January 1985

Harry Huff - Sept. 1983 – December 1984

Walter Kienberger - September 1985 – March 1986

Friedmut Wilhelm - September 1986 – October 2002

Uwe Steinmann - April 2002 – 2004

George Friedrich - 2004 – 2007

Guenther Schoepf - 2007

Sigmar Reichel - May 2007 - present


Deaconess - E. Hess - 1954 – 1956

Parish Worker - I. Lange - 1959 – 1961

Retired Pastor - Eduard Duesterhoeft - 1968 – 1981

Retired Pastor - H. Thielmann - 1980 - 1983





St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

Der erste Gottesdienst wurde in der gemieteten Gariepy & Lessard Halle, and der nordwestlichen Ecke der 100. Strasse und Jasper Avenue von Pastor Poensgen gehalten. Die Gottesdienste begannen hier im Februar 1903 bis Juni 1904. Die Gemeinde wurde im September 1903 mit sechzehn Familien gegründet. Mit einer Sonntagsschule wurde auch begonnen.

Das Gebet einer Gemeinde vermag viel! Am 11. September 1904 wurde das erste Kirchengebäude eigeweiht. Das Land kostete $ 300, die Baukosten betrugen $ 950. Die Kirche war an der 95. Strasse und 103. Ave. Die Grösse des Gebäudes war 26’x36’x16’. Im selben Jahr wurden der Chor und die Jugendgruppe gegründet. Da Pastor Poensgen gestorben war, wurde Pastor Ruccius, an dem Tag der Einweihung, als neuer Pastor der Gemeinde eingeführt. Im April 1905 schloss sich die St. Johannesgemeinde mit der St. Petersgemeinde der Missouri Synode zusammen. Die Vereinigung unter Leitung von Pastor Lussky bestand knappe sieben Monate. Pastor Walbaum wurde im Januar 1905 Pastor von St. Johannes. Im Februar 1906 wurde das erste Gebäude verkauft, da es zu klein geworden war. Ein neues Gebäude wurde am 27. Mai 1906 an der 96. Strasse und 108 Ave. eingeweiht. Die Kosten betrugen $1,800.

1910 wurde die Kirche vergrössert (76’x38’). Ein Turm wurde errichtet und ein Keller für die Sonntagsschule ausgebaut. Die Gesamtkosten betrugen $ 7,000. Die Einweihung fand am 13. März 1910 statt. Abends wurde der erste englische Gottesdienst gehalten. Dieses Gebäude diente der Gemeinde bis 1971.

Das Pfarrhaus wurde 1913 gebaut und am zweiten Pfingsttag desselben Jahres seiner Bestimmung übergeben. Bis 1955 wohnten die Pastoren unserer Gemeinde dort. Von 1955 – 1960 wurde das Pfarrhaus fuer den Sonntagsschulunterricht benutzt.

Während des 1. Weltkrieges verloren viele Mitglieder ihre Arbeit und mussten dadurch die Stadt verlassen. Die Schulden der Gemeinde stiegen auf die Summe von 10,500. Unter Pastor Tuerkheim nahmen die Schulden etwas ab. Pastor Juettner hatte auch damit zu schaffen. Pastor Joern aus Bluff Springs, Iowa führte zeitweilig wieder englische Gottedienste ein. Pastor Kleiner leitete die Gemeinde während der schweren wirtschaftlichen Krise der 30ger Jahre. Er konnte der Gemeinde nur mit der unterstüztenden Hilfe der Missionsbehörde für Nord Amerika dienen. Unter Pastor Krisch wurden seit 1939 regelmässige englische Gottesdienste eingeführt. Seit dem Jahre 1946 brauchte die Missionsbehörde die Gemeinde nicht mehr zu unterstützen und 1947 wurde sie (die Gemeinde) schuldenfrei. Die Pfeifenorgel wurde durch eine elektrische Hammond Orgel ersetzt.Ab 1948 kamen wieder viele Einwanderer aus Europa und fanden eine geistliche Heimat in der St. Johanneskirche. Da die deutschen Gottesdienste oft überfüllt waren, bat Pastor Krisch darum, dass alle Personen, die die englische Sprache verstanden, doch fortan den englischen Gottesdienst besuchen sollten. Eine selbstständige lettische Gemeinde wurde in unserer Kirche gegründet.

Ein Grundstück neben dem Pfarrhaus wurde im Jahre 1954 erworben. Im Jahre 1960, unter der Leitung von Pastor Lenz, wurde mit dem Bau der Sonntagsschule und der Gemeindehalle begonnen. Das Gebäude wurde am 23. April 1961 eingeweiht und kostete etwa $ 43,000. Über zweihundert Kinder kamen zur Sonntagsschule und wurden in beiden Sprachen unterrichtet.Treue Lehrer halfen bei der christlichen Unterweisung unserer Kinder.

Eine grössere Kirche wurde notwendig, da die Zahl der Mitglieder weiter zunahm. Unter der Leitung von Pastor Schoepp wurden Pläne aufgestellt und durchgeführt. Im August 1971 wurde mit dem Bau begonnen und am 28. Mai 1972 wurde die Kirche eingeweiht. Im Dezember 1977 war die Gemeinde wieder schuldenfrei.


Pastoren

Gustav Poensgen - Feb. 1903 – Mai 1904

Martin Ruccius - Sept. 1904 – April 1905

Walter Lussky - April 1905 – November 1905(Vereinigung St. John und St. Peter)

Herman Walbaum - Januar 1906 – März 1908

Henry Harms - April 1908 – 1918

Ernest Tuerkheim - 1918 – Januar 1926

Georg O. Juettner - März 1926 – Dezember 1929

C. Joern - Mai 1930 – Januar 1931

Conrad Kleiner - April 1931 – 1938

Reinhold Krisch - März 1938 – November 1955

Frederick Lenz - November 1955 – Dezember 1964

Louis F. Schoepp - 1965-1978

Horst Gutsche - August 1978 – Januar 1985

Harry Huff - Sept. 1983 – Dezember 1984

Walter Kienberger - September 1985 – März 1986

Friedmut Wilhelm - September 1986 – Oktober 2002

Uwe Steinmann - April 2002 – 2004

George Friedrich - 2004 – 2007

Guenther Schoepf - 2007

Sigmar Reichel - Mai 2007 - derzeitig


Diakonisse - E. Hess - 1954 – 1956

Gemeindehelfer - I. Lange - 1959 – 1961

Pensionierter Pastor - Eduard Duesterhoeft - 1968 – 1981

Pensionierter Pastor - H. Thielmann - 1980 - 1983